WA Maritime Museum Self-Guided Excursions
Monday to Friday during term
The WA Maritime Museum welcomes self-guided school excursions. Places are available Monday to Friday, but bookings are essential.
Activity resources are available below, including the popular precinct trail A Trek Through Time. These activities are free and let you explore the Museum at your own pace.
Visit Exhibitions for more information about our permanent galleries.
We currently do not take online bookings for self-guided school excursions. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details and we will begin to process your booking.
- Self-guided (or program name)
- Preferred visit date (and alternate if not available)
- Number of classes & student numbers in each class
- Teacher name, email and contact mobile
We look forward to welcoming your students on an excursion soon.
At the Museum: Self-guided activities
Our self-guided activities encourage students to engage with the whole museum, appreciate its collection in sometimes new or different ways, and consider what different sources of information can reveal.
Before your visit to the museum:
- Print off the desired number of worksheets and bring these with you on the day.
- Please provide your own clipboards and pencils if you choose to use them.
Upon arrival at the museum:
- Divide your class into small groups, each with a parent helper. Ensure parent helpers are briefed on the activity.
- Encourage groups to start at different points in the museum to avoid congestion.
- Students may need to read information panels as well as look at the objects to complete the tasks.
Back at school:
- You may wish to have students share their responses to the worksheets, or conduct further research on their findings.
Available student activity worksheets:
A Trek Through Time
This fun walking trail between the WA Shipwrecks Museum and the WA Maritime Museum is filled with discovery, while providing historical and geographical knowledge and understanding.
Students participating in this program will:
- Walk in small groups between the WA Shipwrecks Museum and WA Maritime Museum
- Imagine what the locations would have been like 200 years ago
- Visit landmarks along the way such as Bathers Beach, The Roundhouse, Whalers Tunnel, CY O’Connor statue
- Debrief as a group at the WA Maritime Museum or WA Shipwrecks Museum